Dec 9, 2011

Philip Glass made me cry...again

The first time I saw Philip Glass play was when I was 15 and he came through town with Bang on a Can. I remember being bored out of my skull until he got on stage and played a couple movements from his Metamorphosis and felt a tear roll down my cheek. I had a similar sensation when reading a post in Alex Ross' blog on his participation in the occupy wall street movement using part of the libretto from the opera he scored Satyagraha. The opera itself is based on Gandhi and his form of nonviolent protest. Using the opportunity of its production at the Met, upon exiting the venue protesters gathered around Glass while he spoke out lines from the opera. Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson were there and I wasn't! But luckily, Alex Ross was and he captured this epic moment on video (see below)
What I find interesting though is the act of protest outside of the Metropolitan Opera House. As both Ross and Seth Colter Wall point out, the point of the protest was not directed at the opera attendees and I agree that it would be a misconception to associate the opera/classical music "elitism" with the "1%". I also agree with the fact that the general conception of opera as a hobby for the snobby is just plain ridiculous. I also think, however, that the general critiques spewed in that direction should inspire us to find ways to change the stereotype.

0 comments:

Post a Comment