Nov 4, 2010

A tribute to Carles Santos!

          
Last week for a course I am taking, we were assigned to create a piece of abstract/conceptual music.  My piece was based on the concept of frustration.  Practicing the piano and playing a page of endless trills earlier the other day,  I threw my hands on the keys in despair and that is where the idea came from.  I started thinking of unconventional ways to use the piano and I decided to write a piece without using my fingers.  I started thinking about frustration: a primitive emotion that makes us act out in abrupt almost slightly violent ways.  I used the two things that frustrate me the most: music and distance, as the conceptual basis for my piece.  I took my frustration with trills out on the rythm and used that rhythmic idea for the structure.

The keys I play with my fists or flat hand are derived from a postcard I recieved in the mail.  I used a letter my friend from Barcelona sent me a few days ago to decide what notes to aim for with my fists.  I took the card and circled each word that began with the letter of a note name.  Because we have two different types of accents in the Catalan language (like French) if the word had an accent pointing to the right, I interpreted that as a sharp and the left as a flat.  I also interpreted q's as the note C due to the fact that when spoken they produce the same sound.  There was a line in the letter that contained no note names so I play a chromatic descent hitting whatever notes I happen to on the way down.  The sound actually didn't turn out to seem too chaotic,  maybe due to the structure of the rhythm...I'm not sure.  All I can say is that after trying to compose using my fists, my hands ended up hurting and I can see why the technique is not used in common practice!

When I told my friend about the piece, he said the idea reminded him of Carles Santos.  I had never heard of him so I looked it up and found this amazing video.  It's really pretty amazing what he does!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment